Shelf Assistant (N000286) Re-advertise
Advert reference: nwu_000513
Advert status: Online
Apply by: 5 March 2022
Industry: Education & Training
Job category: Assistant
Location: South Africa
Remuneration: Market related
EE position: No
NORTH-WEST UNIVERSITY (VANDERBIJLPARK CAMPUS) OFFICE OF THE DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR: RESEARCH LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SERVICES: LOAN SERVICES POSITION NUMBER: N000286 VACANCY: SHELF ASSISTANT PEROMNES: 14 EMPLOYMENT TYPE: PERMANENT WITH BENEFITS PURPOSE OF THE POSITION To contribute to the physical quality of the library collection and the effective provision of library materials by means of the: • Accurate shelving of books and journals • Continuous shelf control and maintenance • Assistance to users regarding location of library material • Assistance in creating a positive environment
- Sorting and Shelving books, Journals and Reference books
- Shelf control, Shelf maintenance and Record keeping
- Circulation desk service
- Collecting and shifting of items
- Assistance to users regarding location of library material
- Ad-Hoc tasks
- Grade 12
- Be able to perform call number checking, shelf maintenance and trace missing books.
- Basic keyboard and computer literacy.
- The ability to use groupwise and the Online Library catalogue.
- Accurate handling of sources in the busy academic environment.
- Reliability and responsibility to work without constant supervision.
- The ability to think independently and must be self-disciplined and time cautious.
- Good interpersonal relations and a positive attitude towards users.
- Physical fitness and good health.
- Demonstration of language proficiency to function optimally in the various multilingual environments of the NWU.
- Mathematics or Mathematical literacy.
- Understanding of the Dewey-classification system or numerical skills will be an added advantage.
- Approximately one year experience in client services or in library or university library will be an added advantage
- General work experience will be an added advantage
- JOBS WITH OR WITHOUT MATRIC
The annual total remuneration package will be commensurate with the level of appointment as advertised and in line with the NWU policy guidelines.
ENQUIRIES REGARDING JOB CONTENT MAY BE DIRECTED TO: Tiny Moripa ( 016 910 3043)
ENQUIRIES REGARDING RECRUITMENT PROCESS MAY BE DIRECTED TO: Karabelo Motsepe 019 610 3104
CLOSING DATE: 04 March 2022
PLANNED COMMENCEMENT OF DUTIES: 01 APRIL 2022
Kindly take note: applications must be submitted online through the official nwu vacancy website.Incomplete applications and those submitted through any other platform will not be considered.
The University subscribes to and applies the principles of Employment Equity (EE) Act and is committed to transformation. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the EE Act and NWU Employment Equity Plan. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only.
If you are not contacted within two months from the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.