- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
- Start Date: 01 June 2022
- Remuneration: Market Related
- Level of Effort: 100%
- Johannesburg Health District x7 Position
- Dr Kenneth Kaunda District x3 Position
APPLICATIONS SENT TO: HR@ihps-sa.org
Overall Responsibilities The role of the Social Auxiliary Worker (SAW) is to provide social support services (SSS) to TB patients in need within a subdistrict. The SSS package includes provision of care, support, protection, and development of people living with TB, their families and communities affected by TB through relevant programs. This position requires a good understanding of the Department of Social Development (DSD) legislative mandate, policies, and programmes, the Batho Pele principles and knowledge of the social services network at district and subdistrict
Key Performance Areas: Technical:
- Develop a subdistrict work plan for with clear roles and timeframes
- Assist and support the social workers to provide social work services that include care, support, protection and development of TB vulnerable individuals, groups, families, and communities.
- Assist social workers to attend to any other matters that could result in, or stem from social instability of any form.
- Perform administrative support functions in help the social workers as appropriate for the SAW role
- Assess the TB clients’ needs, situations, strengths, and support networks to determine gaps and appropriate interventions.
- Ensure all client files and other records comply with applicable policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Make recommendations on the best course of action for a client and/or family as applicable
- Monitor referrals to facilitate TB clients’ access to services or support and ensure positive referral outcomes
- Present progress reports in subdistrict meetings
- Report daily or weekly to the district level designated IHPS supervisor, or as per IHPS policies and procedures.
- Submit monthly activity reports as per subdistrict workplan to the district designated IHPS supervisor and subdistrict DoH TB/ HAST manager
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent understanding of the Social Assistance Act, relevant policies and guidelines
- Sound knowledge of the Public Service Act and the Batho Pele Principles
- A basic understanding of the human behaviour, relationship system and social systems.
- Basic knowledge of financial matters related to social auxiliary work
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills (both interpersonal and written)
- Good IT skills and understanding of existing information systems used in Social Services
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changes
- Conflict resolution skills
- Good coordination and planning skills
- Information and Knowledge Management i.e., keep accurate records and compile quality and credible reports
Qualifications and Experience:
- Grade 10 plus completion of the learnership to allow registration with the South African Council for Social Service Professions (SACSSP) as SAW.
- Current registration with the South African Council for Social Service Professions as a SAW
- At least 3 years’ experience working as a SAW in the Public Sector
- Experience in administration and management would be an added advantage
- Valid driver’s licence