REPORTS TO Engineering Manager
LOCATION Eastern Region: 58 van Eck Place, Mkondeni, Pietermaritzburg X6
Northern Region: 38 IDA Street, Menlo Park, Pretoria X4
Southern Region: 20 Shoreward Drive, Baywest, Port Elizabeth (Gqeberha) X4
Western Region: 1 Havenga Street, Oakdale, Bellville, Cape Town X6
- B Eng. or B Sc. or B Tech Eng. Degree in Civil Engineering.
- A minimum of 8 years relevant experience, of which 5 years must be post-professional
registration in any of the following fields: planning, design, construction, operations and
maintenance, project, and contract management of major roadworks.
- Registered with ECSA as a Professional Engineer or Professional Engineering
WORKING CONDITIONS / INHERENT REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
- Travel as and when required.
- Attend Cluster Meetings as and when required.
- Driver’s License.
- Work is performed in a combination of office and construction site environments, as and
Skills and Competency of the ideal candidate:
Extensive knowledge of relevant industry standards and specifications, as well as the FIDIC suite
of General Conditions of Contract and relevant legislation. The ability to demonstrate attention to
detail and solve problems in a timely manner. The candidate should exhibit sound and accurate
engineering and project management judgment and work well under pressure. Extensive project
management experience in the roads sector posts ECSA registration.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Identification of Projects
- Participates in the identification and prioritizing of projects using data from relevant
management systems, network inspections, and personal knowledge.
- Based on the requirements of the project, prepare the annual budget and program.
- Ensure accurate identification of projects.
- Ensure effective prioritizing of projects.
- Ensure correct allocation of project funds.
- Ensure accurate project scope and realistic timeframes based on relevant requirements.
- Participates in the procurement processes for the appointment of consulting engineers
and contractors as per the Employer’s standard operating procedures for procurement.
- Prepare relevant tender documentation for the appointment of consulting engineers.
- Prepare relevant tender documentation for construction, in association with the consulting
engineer, based on the scope of the project.
- Attend tenderer’s briefing meetings and site inspections to brief contractors on services
required for the project.
- Understands risk identification and analysis in respect of tender evaluations.
- Understands Pricing Schedules and analysis of tendered rates.
- Ensure the use of appropriate and correct tender documentation as per specifications.
- Ensure compliance with SANRAL’s procurement policy.
- Manages both Consultant and Construction Contracts over the full spectrum of SANRAL projects.
- Visits sites on a regular basis to monitor progress against the project plan.
- Monitors the performance of projects through regular meetings with consultants and
- Ensure that the appointed service provider conducts regular site audits.
- Monitors financial performance to ensure the project remains within budget.
- Prepare monthly forecast of expenditure for each project.
- Verify fee accounts and payment certificates prior to approval for payment.
- Review the scope of work and potential impact on the budget and request additional funds if
- Identify possible hazardous locations of pedestrians and vehicles on the network.
- Monitor transformation targets in terms of targets on construction projects.
- Identify and manage community development projects.
- Maintain good corporative governance in terms of risks and audit requirements on
- Consider innovation in the project life cycle.
- Ensure early identification of problems and mitigation thereof.
- Ensure effective project and contract management.
- Ensure completion of projects on time, within budget, and in conformance with quality
- Ensure compliance with all technical, financial, and quality requirements of the contract.
- Ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of the contract.
- Understand the Claims process and ensure that Notices, Claims, and Engineer
Determinations are reported to the Chair of the Claims Committee.
- Understand the Dispute process and the functions of the Dispute Adjudication Board.
- Ensure effective cash flow management.
- Identify changes in project scope timeously.
- Mitigate and report on incidents as and when required.
- Heads up and/or actively participates in activities of a relevant technical cluster.
- Shares knowledge and experience with colleagues.
- Pursue research and best practice.
- Involved with the development and improvement of specifications for SANRAL.
- Reviewing of Regional Memoranda and contract documentation.
- Ensure quality service delivery through the use of appropriate solutions.
- Promote SANRAL’s credibility and promote the aims and objectives of SANRAL.
- Maintains good working relationships with all colleagues in all regions and areas of
- Cultivates and maintains good working relationships with key stakeholders, consultants
- Ensure internal collaboration and cooperation.
- Promote the aims and objectives of SANRAL.
EMPLOYMENT REFERENCE CHECKS
Employment reference checks are a requirement as part of SANRAL’s recruitment and selection
process. In order for SANRAL to conduct these checks a consent form needs to be completed
and signed by the applicant. As an applicant of this position, you authorize SANRAL to process
all the information provided for the purpose of your application for the position as well as the
verification and record keeping of such credentials.
Please note that this is a confidential document and is intended for internal use by SANRAL’s
Human Resources department only.
Appointments will be made in accordance with SANRAL’s Employment Equity plan.
SANRAL reserves the right not to fill any position.
Closing date for applications: 10th July 2023.
Please note that further communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only.
Please submit your CV online (www.nra.co.za)