Position: Security Officer
Reference Number: CMSB – 047
Overview: To provide security services for the dtic.
Salary: R241,485 per annum (Level 06)
- Senior Certificate / Grade 12.
- Relevant security certification or qualifications and registered with Private Security Industry Regulator Authority (PSIRA).
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in a Security services environment.
- Experience in access control, inspections, contingency planning, report writing, and escorting.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and a commitment to following protocols.
- Effective communication skills to interact with both visitors and staff.
- Good interpersonal skills and customer service excellence.
- Ability to stay composed under pressure and handle security-related incidents.
- Time management skills, planning, and organizing skills.
- Analytical thinking skills and report writing skills.
- Basic understanding of emergency response procedures and safety protocols.
- Proficiency in using security equipment, including X-ray machines and fire extinguishers.
- Solid report-writing skills to accurately document incidents and inspections.
- Strong familiarity with the Control Access to Public Premises and Vehicle Act.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of Public Service Regulations, Public Service Act, Public Finance Management Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Disaster Management Act, Protection of Information Act, and Treasury Regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of the practices and regulations applicable to administrative support services in the Department.
- Computer Literacy (MS Office Package).
Security Officer Duties:
- Implement and enforce access control protocols as per the Control Access to Public Premises and Vehicle Act.
- Ensure proper usage of access cards by dtic staff for premises entry.
- Conduct thorough visitor screenings, following established guidelines.
- Verify and contact individuals being visited prior to granting visitor access.
- Facilitate X-ray screening for visitors’ parcels.
- Perform thorough inspections of buildings and personnel, upholding security standards.
- Supervise external guards from Sunnyside, ensuring alignment with security protocols.
- Regularly inspect evacuation routes, fire extinguishers, and emergency systems.
- Actively participate in safety training and evacuation drills.
- Compile comprehensive monthly statistical reports covering access control, visitors, parking, mail, contractors, and key management.
- Report and document equipment and security system issues, failures, and inspections.
- Maintain effective communication with supervisors regarding incidents and concerns.
- Monitor and secure unattended office doors, ensuring proper closure and locking.
- Safeguard classified documents and staff personal belongings.
- Verify shutdown of all appliances at the end of each day.
- Professionally escort visitors, including VIPs, ensuring their security.
- Maintain vigilant oversight of visitor movement within premises.
- Ensure no visitors are left unattended within office areas.
- Manage and retain accurate visitor records.
Enquiries: Should you have enquiries or experience any problem submitting your application, contact the Recruitment Office at Tel No: (012) 394 1809/1835. Security Officer
APPLICATIONS : can be submitted: Via e-mail to email@example.com (Ref no. should appear in subject-line), by post to The Director, Tiana Business Consulting Services (Pty) Ltd, PO Box 31821, Braamfontein, 2017; Hand-delivered to the dtic Campus, corner of Meintjies and Robert Sobukwe Streets, Sunnyside, Pretoria.
CLOSING DATE : 22 September 2023
NOTE : The application must include only completed and signed new Form Z83, obtainable from any Public Service Department or on the internet at www.gov.za, and a detailed Curriculum Vitae. Certified copies of qualifications and Identity Document or any other relevant documents are to be submitted by only shortlisted candidates to HR. Shortlisted candidates will be
subjected to a technical exercise and the selection panel for the SMS position will further recommend candidates to attend a generic managerial competency-based assessment. The Senior Management Pre-Entry Programme (Nyukela Programme) as endorsed by the National School of Government (NSG) must be completed before an appointment can be considered. The course is available at the NSG under the name Certificate for entry into the SMS and the full details can be sourced by the following link: https://www.thensg.gov.za/training-course/smspre-entry-programme.